I had the pleasure to meet with the London based Pilates instructor Helen O’Leary to speak about her biggest learning experience, what inspires her in life right now and of course about Pilates.
Hi Helen, it’s nice to catch up! Have you been off to a good start today?
- Yes! I had breakfast with my partner and just finished up some load of work.
What’s your idea of a perfect day?
- I would definitely start by waking up somewhere warm to the sound of the ocean. Have a cup of tea walking down the beach and then sit and watch for a bit. Do some work and then head out for a hike mid afternoon before a lovely dinner with friends or my partner.
Sounds really nice. What’s your favourite time of day?
- I love mornings and that doesn’t matter if I am on holiday or in a normal week but I love the quietness of it before anyone has had a chance to move.
Totally agree. It gives you some time to reflect, right? What’s the biggest learning experience you’ve had?
- Giving up control. Starting a business meant that I did everything myself. As we have got bigger it is now more about empowering others to make decisions and that means I have to let go.
What’s a cause that is important to you?
- Early detection of cancers, especially things such as Jo’s cervical cancer trust (@joscervicalcanvertrust), breast cancer (@coppafeel). I think education and early detection of these are incredibly important for people.
That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
- That I have surprised someone.
A good surprise is always great. When are you the most inspired?
- When I am playing around in the studio with our instructors or on an adventurous holiday.
What song can you listen to on repeat?
- Anything Sigur Ros or Taylor Swift!
What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
- I am concentrating on learning to be calm.
Ha, ok. You are doing a great job. I would say I feel calm, safe and inspired around you. What are the three things you can’t live without?
- Travel, my family/friends and laughter.
What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
- I went to Ushuaia to jump on a boat to Antarctica. Unfortunately it got cancelled because of COVID the night before departure.
How would you define yourself in three words?
- Enthusiastic, loyal and driven.
What’s your current favo💕rite piece of clothing that you own?
- My boyfriend jeans.
What’s a must-have piece of sportswear everyone should own?
- A comfy pair of leggings with a high waist!
What’s inspiring you in life right now?
- My work with a coach around purpose and empowerment in business.
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
- Know what is an authentic value for you rather than just going along with other people’s. This will help you be happy.
What’s something you notice about someone when you first meet them?
- Their body language and how easily they give their smile.
Love the later. What’s heavily played on your music playlist right now?
- My Favourite coffeehouse – a playlist by Spotify.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
- Polishing off a packet of biscuits with a cup of tea 😉.
What book did you most recently finish?
- The keeper of happy endings by Barbara Davis. It made me cry and was wonderful!
Thanks for the advice! What are you currently reading?
- The keeper of happy endings by Barbara Davis. I love a good fiction!
If you could switch life with one person for a day, who would it be?
- My best friend. She has just had a baby and would love for her to be able to sleep!
Sweetest thing I’ve heard. When is your favorite time of the day to workout?
- Evenings. It signifies the end of the day for me.
What is your favorite Pilates move?
- Oh tuff one. Mermaid when I am feeling stiff.
What is the best investment you have ever made for yourself?
- Investing in a coach.
Last question. Why did you get into Pilates?
- I was working in professional men’s rugby and saw a physio/polestar Pilates instructor come in every week. She saw our first team boys and would often take away their pain by getting them moving on the equipment. It intrigued me and I wanted to know more!
Ok, one more. Where can one book a session with you?
- You can head to our website www.complete-pilates.co.uk to see what we offer and meet all our team. Alternatively you can contact us on email@example.com and we can answer any questions you have.