I had the great pleasure to meet with, maybe Stockholm's hottest and coolest Pilates instructor at the moment. Did I mention, most humble, as well? Enjoy this interview with Astrid Troillet Ahlbäck.
Hi Astrid, what an honor to catch you off the Megareformer! Tell me about yourself. Who is Astrid?
- My name is Astrid, and I work as a personal trainer and group instructor. I’m educated in psychology which definitely helps me within a day where I meet up to 50-70 clients every day. Which I love! Spending time with others is one of the best things with my job.
- Currently teaching my classes at The Place Stockholm, a boutique fitness studio in Östermalm. My days are very different, as I work as a full time trainer, I have plenty of classes within a day. Everything from Pilates, Megaformer, Barre, Cycle classes and Yoga.
That is quite a busy schedule. There are some really lucky clients out there who get to spend an hour of training with you. So, tell me. Why did you decide to become a personal trainer and Pilates instructor?
- I used to work as a professional dancer, but injured my feet just by walking...hahah. So, I quickly changed into the fitness industry instead, since dancing wasn’t an option anymore. However, I’m happy and extremely grateful for the work I do now, teaching people and keeping them healthy. Not only physically but also mentally. It is the best.
I couldn't agree more. Now, more than ever, we need to find the time to re wind and build a strong body and mind. When do you get to enjoy some "Astrid time"?
- When I grab my coffee and when I go to work to take time for myself to do a Megaformer class, so I keep healthy and strong. Then, I have energy to teach and give energy to all others I meet within a day. Meeting people and seeing them get stronger and grow both physically and mentally is the most beautiful thing for me as a trainer.
It really is. What would you say is the biggest learning experience you’ve had in life so far?
- That life doesn’t turn out as you expect, but a change of plans doesn’t mean it’s less good or bad. It just means that it’s different, and where you have will, there is a way. It’s very much always a mental work how we choose to handle what life throws at us, and our mind is the most powerful tool we have.
Yes! What is your idea of a perfect day?
- Getting a workout, sleeping in and having coffee in the sun.
What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
- That I’m able to light up a room.
Agree to that! When are you the most inspired?
- When I see how tiny changes in our lives, like starting to workout to get yourself out of a depression or trauma, can change your life. When people who once think they couldn’t, just prove to themselves - yes I can.
What song can you listen to on repeat?
- In This Shirt by The Irrepressibles. I can listen to this track a million times over.
Putting it on right now :) It's nice! What makes you smile the most?
- When people who think they can’t, proves themselves to be wrong by accrual doing what they thought they couldn’t do.
What are the three things you can’t live without?
- Coffee. My cat and my dog. My sister.
Aww, a sisters love! It's irreplaceable. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
- Moving to Munich when I was 18 years old to presume my dancing career. Moving there without having a place to stay, and no friends, to pursue my dream as a dancer.
That's a bold move. How would you define yourself in three words?
- Tough, honest, warm.
What’s your current favorite piece of clothing that you own?
- My pants from by Pebbles, apart from that, my bathrobe I use every day....haha!
Oh, thank you. That really means the world to me! What’s a must-have piece of sportswear everyone should own?
- A nice tracksuit. It can work both as casual and for bringing to a dinner when you don’t have time to go home and change.
What’s inspiring you in life right now?
- How people and their energies is sometimes all we need to pull ourselves out of dark places. To feel a connection with someone or something, like friends or simply going to a studio and train.
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
- My dad told me, always be nice to people, make them feel as unique as they are.
Let's all take his advice! What’s something you notice about someone when you first meet them?
- I am very cautious about energies so that’s the first thing I notice with people.
What’s heavily played on your music playlist right now?
- Take you higher by Wilkinson, Montelli2098
What’s your guilty pleasure?
- Red wine, always. With pasta please.
Mmmm, yes please! I know what is coming up for dinner tonight. Thanks. What book did you most recently finish?
- Sidddharta by Herman Hesse is a book I read once a year, the best life lesson in there.
What are you currently reading?
- “Memes” on Instagram Hahaha. It’s my go to read for clearing my head from clutter.
When is your favorite time of the day to workout?
- Midday before breakfast. I start my days late so I have a coffee before training and enjoy a late breakfast or lunch afterwords
What is your favorite move?
- Lunges, in all forms!
What is the best investment you have ever made for yourself?
- To create my own company and work as a freelancer within fitness. It’s today my full time job and I love it. It makes me so happy to see people get stronger, happier and braver. To see how they build courage and self esteem just by getting stronger and happy with themselves!
What is it with Pilates that you like?
- Taking time to find small movements and tiny fragments of motion, to really understand the mind and muscle connection
What made you decide to become a Pilates Instructor?
- I'm a Yoga teacher. Personal Trainer, Ballet and Contemporary dancer, so adding Pilates to the list made sense for my own personal development.
Who would you say Pilates is for?
- Absolutely everyone!
I hope you liked this chat that I had with Astrid Troillet Ahlbäck. If you want to train with Astrid you will find her at a cool boutique studio on Östermalm in Stockholm, Sweden - The Place Stockholm.