Meet the founder of Pebbles - Helena Nabseth
Helena Nabseth is a mother of two and business owner of the Pilates sportswear brand, Pebbles. Pebbles was founded based on a passion project for Pilates and sustainable fashion.
When did you found Pebbles?
- Pebbles was founded in 2019 with the vision of designing the best sportswear for Pilates by using high-tech materials from Italy and collaborating with designers and the best in Pilates instructors during the design process.
What was the idea behind Pebbles?
- There are specific clothes for yoga, tennis, horseback riding, soccer, etc. so taking that niche within Pilates felt too exciting for a Pilates enthusiast, not to try. Adding to that, I have always been interested in the fashion industry. From a very young age, I travelled with my mom to factories in China, France and Italy, discovering the craftsmanship behind the finest cashmere, silk and leather goods.
- I respect the craftsmanship, fabric and the entire process. Although, this world may not need a bunch of new clothes, we may not want to purchase second hand sportswear.
- Pebbles is a passion project for sure. I work hard to uphold a sustainable approach by producing local, small collections, and allowing for pre orders to crowd fund for each collections. This limit waste and over production.
Are you a certified Pilates instructor?
- Yes, that's correct. I am a fully certified STOTT and Equinox Pilates Instructor including ISP (Special Injury and Population).
- I never intended to teach Pilates but during my business studies in the USA, I got into Pilates so much I got kind of stuck with it. It helped me cure my back pain and my scoliosis in ways I had never thought were possible. I kind of got hooked, and today I tech it on a regular basis. Seeing women move in my sportswear, in action, allows for perfection in design, fit and fabric. But also, that genuine connection you get with the clients is priceless.
Have you ever thought about giving up?
- Yes, it's tough running a business as a mother of two youngsters and to juggle family and business. But, when the founder of Equinox Pilates Education in the USA said she loves our clothes, I knew I had something really good going on. Being praised for Pebbles' design by one of the world's most exclusive gym chains is of course very exciting. Feedback like that keeps me going, not to mention cheers from the Pebbles community.
Is Pilates only for Kim Kardashian's and Hailey Bieber's?
- Haha, no, Pilates is not just for the rich and famous. Nor only for the elite athletes. It is among the best exercises you can do to center yourself, and to get to know your body. Pilates focuses on slower, tough exercises where breathing is central in finding strength, balance, focus, and control in every move.
Where do you take your inspiration from?
- The inspiration for the latest collection, The Adjustable Collection, comes from my sister, girlfriends, my mom, myself and all women who stress around in everyday life, and who want to get back to something as fundamental as their breathing.
- It's funny that today we are so stressed that we need to go to a breathing coach to "learn" to breathe properly - when breathing is the first thing we do, perfectly, when we are born. How can we "lose" control of our breaths?
- When I developed The Adjustable Collection, I did it together with some of the world's best Pilates instructors. A designer is great at design, but to get that little extra in the design that optimizes your Pilates workout, and even more with a focus on breathing, requires that the actual experts test and are involved in the design process.